1 (15 oz) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg
pinch grated nutmeg
pinch of salt, pepper
1/2 cup chopped basil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large zucchini, peeled and sliced very thin
2 1/2 cups marinara sauce of your choice
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Slice the zucchini into very thin strips with a knife, the strips should be no longer than 6-8 inches long
- Lay strips on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt, let sit for 10-15 minutes
- Pat the water off of the zucchini and set aside
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, nutmeg, basil, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Pour 1 cup marinara sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish
- Spread a thin layer of the ricotta mixture on the zucchini, then roll up and place seam-side down. Repeat with the remainder of the zucchini
- Cover with the remaining marinara sauce and then cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes until zucchini is soft and cheese is melted and lightly browned
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Look for zucchini with a slightly prickly, but shiny skin. The skin should be firm and free of cuts and bruises.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Do not wash it until you are ready to use it. Cooked zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator as well, but should be used with in 2 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim tops and bottoms. Add to salads, or have as a snack with dip. Steam, microwave or boil until tender, bake, roast, stir-fry, or sauté. Add to pasta and rice dishes, soups and stews, and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Try this delicious and nutritious fun party food. The tuna makes for a protein filled snack!
Full of calcium and bananas, these parfaits are healthy enough for breakfast and yummy enough for dessert.