1 (15 oz) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg
pinch grated nutmeg
pinch of salt, pepper
1/2 cup chopped basil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large zucchini, peeled and sliced very thin
2 1/2 cups marinara sauce of your choice
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Slice the zucchini into very thin strips with a knife, the strips should be no longer than 6-8 inches long
- Lay strips on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt, let sit for 10-15 minutes
- Pat the water off of the zucchini and set aside
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, nutmeg, basil, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Pour 1 cup marinara sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish
- Spread a thin layer of the ricotta mixture on the zucchini, then roll up and place seam-side down. Repeat with the remainder of the zucchini
- Cover with the remaining marinara sauce and then cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes until zucchini is soft and cheese is melted and lightly browned
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Look for zucchini with a slightly prickly, but shiny skin. The skin should be firm and free of cuts and bruises.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Do not wash it until you are ready to use it. Cooked zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator as well, but should be used with in 2 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim tops and bottoms. Add to salads, or have as a snack with dip. Steam, microwave or boil until tender, bake, roast, stir-fry, or sauté. Add to pasta and rice dishes, soups and stews, and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
This delicious finger food is popular for any age group. Use this recipe to prepare a healthier version that are baked and not fried!