- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup tomato based pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash zucchini. Trim ends and cut each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scrape out soft, seedy center of zucchini.
3. Place zucchini halves in a small baking dish or cookie sheet. Spoon pasta sauce into zucchini halves. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle with oregano.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until zucchini can be pierced with a fork and cheese is bubbly and brown. Serve warm.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Instead of serving these in zucchini halves, try slicing the zucchini into 1/2 inch thick disks, scoop out the center of the disk and put a dab of tomato sauce and cheese on each. Kids will love these bite size zucchini treats!
Top these zucchini boats with other veggies to make this recipe more nutrient rich. Add chopped mushrooms, garlic, peppers, spinach, olives, tomatoes--yum!
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Look for zucchini with a slightly prickly, but shiny skin. The skin should be firm and free of cuts and bruises.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Do not wash it until you are ready to use it. Cooked zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator as well, but should be used with in 2 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim tops and bottoms. Add to salads, or have as a snack with dip. Steam, microwave or boil until tender, bake, roast, stir-fry, or sauté. Add to pasta and rice dishes, soups and stews, and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
White Chicken Chili
This recipe will be a hit with your family; it's got enough spice for flavor, but not so much that it turns off the younger kids.