- 6 whole-grain lasagna sheets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 small eggplants, peeled and diced
- 2 small carrots (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 18 black olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
3. While the lasagna is boiling, in a large sauté pan over moderate heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, water, eggplants, carrots, bell pepper, olives, parsley, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.
You can substitute cilantro leaves instead of parsley.
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Choose eggplants that are heavy for their size and without cracks or discolorations.
How to Store
Store eggplants in the refrigerator crisper drawer or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Use within 5-7 days. Freeze: Cook sliced eggplant, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Prepare cooked eggplant dishes and freeze in containers.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim off any bruised spots. Cut off top stem and leaves. Peel if desired. Slice or dice. Microwave cubes in water, stab holes with fork and bake whole. Stuff and bake, roast, fry coated in breadcrumbs, grill brushed with olive oil. Add to sauces and soups, stir-fry or roast with other vegetables, or add to pasta and rice dishes and casseroles.