Winter Squash and Black Bean Chili
Serving size: Serving is 1 1/2 cups
This is a delicious healthy and hearty low cost chili. It will warm you up on a cool fall evening!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 cups cubed Butternut or Hubbard squash
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can stewed, low salt tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove squash from pot and set aside.
2. Return empty pot to stove. Saut carrots and onion until well browned, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Stir in chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic. Cook one minute, stirring well.
3. Add tomatoes with their liquid and the 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spoon to break up tomatoes.
4. Stir in squash and black beans. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until squash is tender and chili thickens. Stir in cilantro, if desired, and serve.
Pair with Cheesy Spinach Cornbread recipe
More About Butternut Squash
How to Select
Choose a squash heavy for its size.
How to Store
Store in a cool, dark place for up to a month. Once cut, refrigerate unused portion.
How to Prepare
Add to stews and soups, steam and drizzle with olive oil, prepare in a curry, bake and stuff with apples, add cooked squash to a canned black beans with a dash of cinnamon and cumin, mash with yams, seasoned with ginger and cinnamon, or simply cube and roast.
You Might Also Like
Bow Tie Pasta with Zucchini Sauce
Get the kids involved by helping grate the zucchini. They will love to help make a delicious meal for your family!
Fall Favorite Lentil Stew
Try this delicious stew with a dollop of plain fat-free regular or Greek yogurt. This recipe will warm you up on a chilly evening!