White Chicken Chili
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 8
This recipe will be a hit with your family; it's got enough spice for flavor, but not so much that it turns off the younger kids.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut bite-sized
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder or 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup non-fat or 1% milk
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan; sauté the chicken, onion and garlic powder until chicken is no longer pink.
* Substitute nonfat Greek yogurt.
* Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
* Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
More About White Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out--beans should always be covered with water.