Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 4, 3 pinwheels each
Use any of your favorite seasonal veggies in this wrap!View Nutrition Facts
4 large radishes
1 small carrot
1 cup salad greens 3 sprigs fresh herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro, or combination)
1 lemon 2 ounces low-fat Swiss or cheddar cheese
1 large, ripe avocado
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
3 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
Optional Ingredients: 5 ounces thinly sliced roasted turkey
1. Scrub and rinse radishes and carrots. Rinse salad greens. Pat all veggies dry.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to peel radishes and carrots into long, thin strips. In a medium bowl, collect veggie strips.
3. Rinse herbs. Pluck leaves off stems. Tear leaves into smaller pieces.
4. Rinse lemon. Zest using the small holes of a box grater. Cut in half and remove seeds.
5. Grate cheese.
6. Slice avocado lengthwise. Remove pit. Scoop avocado out of shell.
7. In a small bowl, use a fork to mash avocado. Stir in yogurt.
8. Squeeze a little lemon juice onto avocado mixture. Add herbs and a pinch of lemon zest. Stir.
9. Warm 1 tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds, or longer as needed.
10. Place the warm tortilla on a cutting board. Spread 1/8 avocado mixture over center of tortilla. Layer with 1/8 greens, 1/8 grated veggies, and 1/8 cheese. If using turkey, add 1/8 turkey now. Squeeze more lemon juice over the mixture.
11. Roll tortilla and toppings into a log shape. Use a knife to slice wrap into four pinwheels.
12. Repeat process for the other 2 tortillas. You will end up with a total of 12 pinwheels.
More About Spinach
How to Select
Choose fresh, crisp, green bunches with no evidence of insect damage.
How to Store
Remove blemished leaves, rinse, dry and refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes for use within 3-5 days. You can also blanch, cool, and freeze spinach in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse greens in cold water. Pat leaves between towels or use a salad spinner to dry leaves. Add to salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, braise, or purée. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces, and pasta, rice, and egg dishes. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.