Tzatziki -- Greek Cucumber Dip
Source: Liz Gump
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Servings per recipe: 8
This easy to prepare spicy dip is refreshing on a hot summer day.View Nutrition Facts
1- 5.3oz container of plain non-fat Greek yogurt
2-4 crushed garlic cloves
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped or dried mint (or dill)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
Greek olives, optional
* Peel cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Coarsely grate.
* Put grated cucumber in a colander, or a sieve. Sprinkle with salt and mix. Put a plate on top of the cucumber, and let cucumber drain for about an hour. The weight of the plate will squeeze the liquid out of the cucumber.
* Mix cucumber with yogurt, crushed garlic, lemon juice and mint in a bowl. Season with pepper, to taste.
* Refrigerate Tzatziki dip for several hours (or overnight) in a sealed container before serving, to allow flavors to combine.
* To serve, put Tzatziki in a bowl and drizzle with the tablespoon of olive oil. Serve with cut up vegetables, or slices of whole grain pita bread or a baguette.
To change the spice level, increase or decrease the amount of garlic added to this dip.
More About Cucumbers
How to Select
Choose firm, well shaped cucumbers with dark green color, that are heavy for its size.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim ends. If skin is tough or waxed, peel. If seeds are hard, scoop out. Add fresh cucumber to salads and sandwiches. Have as a snack with dips. Eat raw: Add to salads and sandwiches, or have as a snack with dip. Cut into cubes with tomatoes and herbs, and add salad dressing. Make Greek cucumber-yogurt sauce, or add to cold soups.
You Might Also Like
Garden Vegetable Cakes
These mouth-watering patties packed full of vegetables take the cake in terms of flavor and color over other burgers!
Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Maple Syrup
This fun and sweet way to enjoy Brussels is sure to be a hit at your family's dinner table!