Turkey Chili with Vegetables
Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 6
Beans and veggies make this dish a heart-healthy, winter favorite!View Nutrition Facts
1 medium onion
2 medium carrots
3 cloves garlic
1 large green bell pepper
1 (15-ounce) can red or white kidney beans, no salt added
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1. Rinse and peel onion and carrots. Peel garlic.
2. Rinse bell pepper. Remove core and seeds.
3. Dice onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
5. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
6. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey and brown.
7. Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook until onions are soft and carrots are somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
8. Add beans, tomatoes, 1 cup water, chili powder, and cumin to pot. Season with salt to taste.
9. Lower heat to medium. Cook until all flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
More About Red Kidney Bean
How to Select
Choose dried beans or canned beans with less sodium. Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature in a closed container, to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned beans at room temperature, and use before date on can.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.