Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: 1/2 cucumber & 6 ounces filling (316g)
Servings per recipe: 4 servings
Try this delicious and nutritious fun party food. The tuna makes for a protein filled snack!
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 lemon
- 2 green onions
- 1 (6-ounce) can low-sodium tuna, packed in water
- 1 (15 -1/2 ounce) can white beans
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon or country mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Rinse cucumbers. Peel off skin every 1/4 inch, all the way around. Cut lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a small spoon.
2. Rinse lemon. Zest using the small holes of a box grater. Cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
3. Rinse and chop green onions.
4. Drain tuna. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. In a medium bowl, mash beans lightly with a fork.
6. Add green onions, tuna, oil, mustard, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice to beans. Mix with a fork.
7. Fill each cucumber half with 1/4 tuna mixture. Serve.
For a snack or party food, cut cucumbers into thick slices. Do not remove seeds. Place a dollop of tuna mixture on top.
Add chopped bell pepper or celery for extra nutrition and crunch.
Try canned salmon, packed in water, instead of tuna.
More About Cucumber
How to Select
Choose firm, well shaped cucumbers with dark green color, that are heavy for its size.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim ends. If skin is tough or waxed, peel. If seeds are hard, scoop out. Add fresh cucumber to salads and sandwiches. Have as a snack with dips. Eat raw: Add to salads and sandwiches, or have as a snack with dip. Cut into cubes with tomatoes and herbs, and add salad dressing. Make Greek cucumber-yogurt sauce, or add to cold soups.
You Might Also Like
Asian Noodles with Peanut Butter Sauce
Frozen veggies add a nutritious, delicious bite to this dish.