- 1 pound firm tofu
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 scallions (green and whites chopped)
- 1 head broccoli (broken into florets, stems chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or basil)
1. Put the tofu on a cutting board and cut it in half and then cut each half into 4 equal pieces.
2. Put 2 layers of paper towel on a cutting board and put the tofu on top. Let drain at least 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours).
3. Place a skillet over medium heat and when hot, add 2 teaspoons oil. Add the tofu, one piece at a time, and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the tofu to a plate and set aside.
4. Reheat the skillet and when it is hot, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add garlic and scallions and cook until just golden, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli and water and raise the heat to high. Cook until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Return the tofu to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
6. Serve with a side of brown rice.
More About Broccoli
How to Select
Buy fresh or frozen in whole heads or florets. Broccoli heads should be odorless with tight, bluish-green florets.
How to Store
Refrigerate broccoli and use within 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Broccoli can be sauteed, steamed, boiled or eaten raw. Toss broccoli in a stir-fry, add it to salads, throw it on pizzas or dip it in low-fat ranch for a fun treat!