Tofu with Broccoli
Source: What's Cooking?
Servings per recipe: 4 Servings
Tofu cooked until golden brown and sauteed broccoli served in a scallion soy sauce makes for a quick, delicious meal. Serve with brown rice.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 scallions (green and whites chopped)
- 1 head broccoli (broken into florets, stems chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or basil)
1. Put the tofu on a cutting board and cut it in half and then cut each half into 4 equal pieces.
2. Put 2 layers of paper towel on a cutting board and put the tofu on top. Let drain at least 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours).
3. Place a skillet over medium heat and when hot, add 2 teaspoons oil. Add the tofu, one piece at a time, and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the tofu to a plate and set aside.
4. Reheat the skillet and when it is hot, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add garlic and scallions and cook until just golden, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli and water and raise the heat to high. Cook until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Return the tofu to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
6. Serve with a side of brown rice.
More About Broccoli
How to Select
Buy fresh or frozen in whole heads or florets. Broccoli heads should be odorless with tight, blueish green florets.
How to Store
Refrigerate broccoli and use within 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Broccoli can be sauteed, steamed, boiled or eaten raw. Toss broccoli in a stir-fry, add it to salads, throw it on pizzas or dip it in low-fat ranch for a fun treat!
You Might Also Like
Bell Pepper Salad
An array of assorted bell peppers makes for a delicious and healthy side dish, snack or meal!