Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: 1/2 cup
This skillet is sure to become one of your family's favorite meals. It's quick and easy to make and loaded with flavor!View Nutrition Facts
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
- 1 pound lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
1. Rinse lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeño. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic.
2. Chop or shred lettuce into bite-size pieces. Mince garlic. Halve the jalapeno and bell peppers. Remove seeds with the tip of a knife. Dice peppers.
3. Over a small bowl, grate tomato and onion using the coarse side of a box grater. Collect all pulp and juices.
4. Grate cheddar cheese.
5. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, bell pepper, and garlic, until meat is lightly browned. Drain to remove fat.
7. Stir in frozen corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until most liquid is gone.
8. While meat mixture is simmering, make a salsa. Add jalapeno and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and onion. Stir and set aside.
9. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top each with grated cheese, salsa, and lettuce. Roll up and serve.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. To freeze, remove seeds, cut, and store in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauteed. Add them to pizzas, scrambled eggs or salads. Stuff and bake them for a delicious meal!
You Might Also Like
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
This delicious finger food is popular for any age group. Use this recipe to prepare a healthier version that are baked and not fried!