Sweet Carrot Bread
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 1 slice bread or 1 muffin
Servings per recipe: 12
This bread is a good source of vitamin A and includes whole grains.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced (1-2 medium carrots), or 14.5 oz can of sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups baking mix (biscuit or pancake-type mix)
- 3/4 cup raisins, or other dried fruit, nuts or trail mix (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook carrot slices in small (1 quart) covered saucepan with 1/2 cup water until very soft. Drain water. Mash carrots well with a fork, or puree until smooth.
3. Prepare baking pans. If making a loaf, lightly spray or oil and flour a 9x5 bread pan. If making muffins, lightly oil or spray the bottoms of the muffin cups.
4. In large bowl, mix carrots with brown sugar, egg, and milk until well blended.
5. Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended.
6. Pour batter into prepared bread pans or fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
7. Bake bread for 50 minutes, or muffins for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Let cool slightly then remove from pans.
9. Cool completely then wrap leftovers in plastic or place in an air-tight container. Store at room temperature.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.