Spring Green Salad
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 1 Cup
Brighten up your salad with spinach and strawberries straight from the Farmers Market or your garden!View Nutrition Facts
- 6 ounces spinach (about 7 cups)
- 3 oranges
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup walnut pieces (toasted if desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons salad oil
- Wash and dry spinach, tear into pieces, and chill.
- To prepare orange:
- Cut off peel and membrane of outer part of the sections.
- Using a paring knife gently cut out sections from membrane edges. You end up with orange sections with no outer membrane.
- To make dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well or blend in a blender.
- Right before serving, toss orange and strawberries with walnuts and spinach.
- Add dressing to coat salad. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
More About Spinach
How to Select
Choose fresh, crisp, green bunches with no evidence of insect damage.
How to Store
Remove blemished leaves, rinse, dry and refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes for use within 3-5 days. You can also blanch, cool, and freeze spinach in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse greens in cold water. Pat leaves between towels or use a salad spinner to dry leaves. Add to salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, braise, or purée. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces, and pasta, rice, and egg dishes. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.
You Might Also Like
A tasty alternative to beef and bean burgers, this colorful patty will be the delight of the barbecue or party!