- 6 ounces spinach (about 7 cups)
- 3 oranges
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup walnut pieces (toasted if desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons salad oil
- Wash and dry spinach, tear into pieces, and chill.
- To prepare orange:
- Cut off peel and membrane of outer part of the sections.
- Using a paring knife gently cut out sections from membrane edges. You end up with orange sections with no outer membrane.
- To make dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well or blend in a blender.
- Right before serving, toss orange and strawberries with walnuts and spinach.
- Add dressing to coat salad. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
More About Spinach
How to Select
Choose fresh, crisp, green bunches with no evidence of insect damage.
How to Store
Remove blemished leaves, rinse, dry and refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes for use within 3-5 days. You can also blanch, cool, and freeze spinach in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse greens in cold water. Pat leaves between towels or use a salad spinner to dry leaves. Add to salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, braise, or purée. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces, and pasta, rice, and egg dishes. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.
You Might Also Like
Japanese Simmered Squash
This Japanese style sweet and savory dish will delight your taste buds! Acorn squash is a good source of vitamins A, C and potassium.