- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1/3 bunch fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Peel and mince garlic cloves.
2. Drain and rinse cannellini beans.
3. Rinse and chop parsley.
4. In a blender, add garlic, cannellini beans, 1/2 the parsley, water, canola oil, salt, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Blend until smooth.
5. Transfer dip to medium bowl. Top with the rest of the parsley and stir.
* Use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder in place of minced fresh garlic cloves.
* Use 2 teaspoons dried parsley in place of chopped fresh parsley.
* Serve with whole wheat pita bread, tortilla chips, or cut-up fresh veggies.
* Use Great Northern or navy beans instead of cannellini beans.
* For a chunkier dip, or to make without a blender, mash beans, oil and water together with a fork until well blended. Stir in rest of ingredients.
More About White Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out--beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
This traditional Middle Eastern salad is delicious, easy to make, and is a good source of Vitamins A & C and fiber.