Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: 8
Spaghetti squash is a delicious & nutritious substitute for pasta noodles. Try it with your favorite pasta sauce!View Nutrition Facts
1 Spaghetti squash
Toppings of your choosing.
- Wash the skin and cut squash in half lengthwise, crosswise or in 1-inch rings. If squash is too tough to cut, microwave or bake for a few minutes until squash is warm to the touch and soft enough to cut.
- Remove seeds and stringy fibers with a spoon.
- Cook squash. The squash flesh should be easily pierced by a fork when done.
Microwave (shortest cooking time). Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe dish with 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Cook on HIGH for about 12 minutes for a medium sized squash.
Time will vary depending on size of squash and power of the microwave. Squash is done when the shell can be pierced with a fork and the .flesh separates into strands.
Bake in the oven. Choose a baking temperature between 350 to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil for easier clean up.
- For a “roasted” flavor, rub cut edges with a little vegetable oil (optional), place cut side down in the pan and bake uncovered.
- For a “steamed” texture, add ½ cup water to the pan and cover with foil.
- Check for doneness after about 40 minutes. Larger squash and lower oven temperatures may take longer to cook. Squash is done when the shell can be pierced with a fork and the flesh separates into strands.
4. Let sit for 10 minutes or until squash is cool enough to handle. Use a fork to gently scrape the inside of the squash to make spaghetti-like strand.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Season the squash with a little salt and pepper or try nutmeg, onion or garlic powder.
- Top with your favorite pasta sauce, such as tomato sauce or pesto.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, onions or other veggies.
- Add a sprinkling of cheese.
- Include beans, tofu, cooked chicken, or cooked meat to make a one dish meal.
Watch how easy it is to cook spaghetti squash!
You Might Also Like
Potato Kale Frittata
This delicious frittata is a nutritious one dish meal and a real crowd pleaser!
Blueberries have antioxidants and are a good source of fiber, while the oat topping provides whole grains.