- 2 medium potatoes (each about 5 inches x 2½ inches)
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, pepper jack, or Mexican blend)
1. Scrub potatoes well. Poke each potato with a fork 2 or 3 times. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, turn potatoes over, and microwave another 3 to 5 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine beans, salsa and corn. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
3. Cut potatoes in half length-wise and flatten with a fork. Divide bean mixture between the four halves. Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Kids really like making this recipe. Be sure to make the portion sizes smaller for young children.
More About Potatoes
How to Select
Look for firm, well-shaped and fairly smooth potatoes. Avoid potatoes that have wrinkles.
How to Store
Do not wash for storage. Do not store with onions. Place in a paper bag, or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store potatoes in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place, or refrigerate. Can last up to 5 months.
How to Prepare
Scrub gently under water. Skin has many nutrients. If peeling, first remove any sprouts. Carve out any green spots. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, sauté, roast, or mash. Add to casseroles, soups, stews, and curry dishes.