- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 (15-1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (15-1/4 ounce) can corn kernels, no salt added
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped
1. Rinse and dice bell pepper, removing core and seeds. Peel, rinse, and dice onion.
2. If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
3. In a colander, drain and rinse black-eyed peas and corn.
4. In a large bowl, add pepper, onion, peas, corn, cilantro if using, and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. Top with chopped avocado (optional).
- Dried black-eyed peas may be cheaper than canned. If using dried, cook according to package directions until peas are soft but not mushy. Drain, rinse, and add 3 cups cooked peas to salad. Use leftovers in other recipes later in the week.
- Try chilling the salad. Serve it over cooked spinach or kale.
- Use any type of vinegar you have on hand. Try balsamic, cider, or red or white wine vinegar.
- Use black beans in place of black-eyed peas if you like.
- When corn is in season, use fresh in place of canned. Cook 4 medium ears corn. Remove kernels from cob with a knife. Add to salad.
More About Black Eyed Peas
How to Select
Choose dried black-eyed peas or peas canned with low or no sodium. Select dried peas that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried peas at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned black-eyed peas at room temperature. Use before expiration date on can.
How to Prepare
To reconstitute dried black-eyed peas, put them in a large pot and cover with about 3 inches of water. Soak the peas overnight, then drain the water and rinse the peas. You can also "quick-soak" the peas by putting them in a pot, covering them with 3 inches of water, and bringing them to a boil for 3 minutes. Then cover, remove from heat, and let the peas soak for an hour. Drain and rinse the peas before using.
You Might Also Like
Marinated Tomato and Cucumber Salad
This salad has a great variety of colors and a really refreshing taste!