- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce 1 package
- 16 ounces frozen, sliced okra
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the 1 cup quick cooking rice, reduce water by 1 cup.
More About Okra
How to Select
Choose brightly colored, firm pods.
How to Store
Do not rinse for storage. Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store okra in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for later: Trim stems, blanch in water, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Use within 1 year.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly. Scrub fuzz off skin. Chop. Becomes slimy if overcooked or boiled. Sauté or fry, steam, grill, or roast in a small amount of oil. Add to casseroles, rice and vegetable dishes, curry, soups, and stews.