- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded or chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 small pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add celery and onion. Cook 4-7 minutes until soft.
- Add cabbage, green pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often so the cabbage sweats.
- Add tomato and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
More About Cabbage
How to Select
Buy whole in a head or shredded. Choose cabbage heads with tight leaves that are heavy for their size.
How to Store
Keep fresh cabbage in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
How to Prepare
Remove thick outer leaves. Rinse in cold water. Shred raw cabbage for use in salads, such as coleslaw. Cook cabbage and add it to soups and stews. Cabbage can also be pickled to make sauerkraut.
You Might Also Like
Baba Ganoosh (eggplant dip with tahini: ground up sesame seeds) is a popular Middle Eastern dip and a good source of fiber.