Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 4, 1/2 cup per serving
This simple recipe has only 5 ingredients and takes about 15 minutes to prepare.View Nutrition Facts
1 pound collard greens
4 medium cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Remove hard stems from greens.
2. Stack leaves on top of each other. Roll into a tube shape. Make a few stacks if needed.
3. Use a sharp knife to slice leaf rolls into 1/4-inch wide strips.
4. In a large bowl filled with cold water, add cut greens. Allow any dirt to settle to the bottom of the bowl. If greens are very dirty, repeat this step. Lift greens out of bowl. Shake off any excess water.
5. Peel and mince garlic.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
7. Add greens. Use caution, as oil might splatter when damp greens are placed in hot pan. If greens can't all fit in the pan at once, cook in two batches.
8. Stir greens until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic. Cook until greens are soft and excess water is gone, about 5-7 minutes. If garlic starts to brown or burn, reduce heat to medium-low.
10. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.
More About Collard Greens
How to Select
Choose bunches with crisp, dark green leaves and no yellowing.
How to Store
Refrigerate up to 5 days in a plastic bag. To freeze, steam greens, chop into pieces, and freeze in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Separate leaves and rinse. Dry in salad spinner or between towels. Cut leaves in strips. Eat raw: Chop with other greens in salads. Eat cooked: Steam, sauté, stir-fry, or simmer. Simmer with chopped onions, garlic and lemon juice, until leaves are tender. Simmer with ham and black eyed peas for a classic Southern dish. Add to soups and curry dishes.
You Might Also Like
Tofu with Broccoli
Tofu cooked until golden brown and sauteed broccoli served in a scallion soy sauce makes for a quick, delicious meal. Serve with brown rice.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
This delicious finger food is popular for any age group. Use this recipe to prepare a healthier version that are baked and not fried!