- 1 pound collards or other greens
- 4 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Remove hard stems from greens.
2. Stack leaves on top of each other. Roll into a tube shape. Make a few stacks if needed.
3. Use a sharp knife to slice leaf rolls into 1/4-inch wide strips.
4. In a large bowl filled with cold water, add cut greens. Allow any dirt to settle to the bottom of the bowl. If greens are very dirty, repeat this step. Lift greens out of bowl. Shake off any excess water.
5. Peel and mince garlic.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil.
7. Add greens. Use caution, as oil might splatter when damp greens are placed in hot pan. If greens can't all fit in the pan at once, cook in two batches.
8. Stir greens until wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic. Cook until greens are soft and excess water is gone, about 5-7 minutes. If garlic starts to brown or burn, reduce heat to medium-low.
10. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.
Try chard, kale, turnip or any other leafy greens instead of collards. Try serving over brown rice, cornbread, or whole wheat pasta. Add cooked greens to Turkey Tacos with black beans, cheese, and salsa. Or, add to egg sandwiches.
More About Swiss Chard
How to Select
Select chard with fresh green leaves.
How to Store
Store unwashed leaves in plastic bags with some air holes in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
How to Prepare
Separate leaves from stems. Rinse in cold water. Cook stems longer than leaves. Chard cooks down in volume, so use more raw greens than final dish calls for. Chop in salads, wraps, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil in water or flavored broth. Sauté, stir-fry or braise in oil and spices, with other vegetables or alone. Add to casseroles, soups, sauces, pasta, and egg dishes.
You Might Also Like
Apple Corn Chili
This thick and flavorful chili makes for a perfect weeknight meal! Savory black beans pair with apples and sweet corn for an unexpected twist!