Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: 5
This tangy Mexican salsa features roasted tomatillos, jalapeño peppers and fresh herbs. Serve with baked tortilla chips and vegetable sticks or try this as a dressing on your salad!View Nutrition Facts
7 medium tomatillos
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler to 425 degrees F.
- Remove tomatillo husks, rinse under running water then wipe to remove stickiness.
- Place tomatillos in a single layer on a baking sheet with sides.
- Broil until slightly charred, turning once, about 7-8 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet.
- Place tomatillos with juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash with a fork or potato masher into a chunky pureé.
- Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
For a smoother consistency, salsa may be pureed using a blender.
Serve with baked tortilla chips or vegetable sticks. For a twist, try dressing your salad with a few spoonfuls of salsa or use as a topping for enchiladas or tacos!
This salsa freezes well - store in smaller containers and defrost as needed!
More About Tomatillos
How to Select
Look for dry, hard tomatillos with tightly fitting husks that are dry and free of mold.
How to Store
Refrigerate tomatillos in a plastic bag with some air holes or in an open container in the crisper drawer for 2-3 weeks. Freeze: Slice or keep whole, pack in containers and freeze.
How to Prepare
Remove outer skin. Rinse in cold water. Roast, grill, bake, sauté, or stir-fry. Chop into small pieces and add raw to Mexican sauces. Blanch and add to salads. Cook with other vegetables or meat in Mexican dishes.
You Might Also Like
Curried Black-eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas are a good source of protein and fiber. The curry adds delicious flavor to this vegan and gluten-free dish.