Roasted Root Vegetables
Serving size: 1/4 recipe (297g)
Servings per recipe: 4 servings
Roasting root vegetables brings out their sweet flavor.View Nutrition Facts
4 medium root vegetables, chopped (choose a variety from potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, beets, sweet potatoes, etc.)
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Italian seasoning mix
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut vegetables into large chunks.
3. Place in a medium bowl and pour oil and lemon juice over top. Add seasonings and mix well.
4. Spread an even layer on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the vegetables and stir again.
6. Bake another 15 minutes. Vegetables are tender when done.
A variety of root vegetables like turnips, sweet potatoes and beets, make this dish colorful, festive and nutritious.
More About Parsnips
How to Select
Choose parsnips that are firm and dry. Smaller ones may be more flavorful and tender.
How to Store
Refrigerate parsnips unwashed in an unsealed bag for 3 weeks or more. For longer term storage, pack in moist sand stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees. They can last 2-6 months stored this way.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water and peel. Grate raw in salads. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, roast, sauté or stir-fry. Add to casseroles, soups and stews. Cook until soft and mash like potatoes. Substitute for carrots or sweet potatoes in recipes.
You Might Also Like
Squish Squash Lasagna
A delicious dish with layers of whole-wheat lasagna noodles, butternut squash, and spinach, all nestled under part-skim mozzarella cheese