Roasted Parsnips with Garlic, Parsley and Dill
Source: Modified from a recipe at Cooking Light
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Servings per recipe: 4
Roasted parsnips make a delicious side dish with chicken or fish.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Preheat baking sheet.
- Combine parsnips, garlic, lemon juice, oil, pepper, dill and salt in a medium bowl.
- Put parsnips mixture in a single layer on preheated baking sheet.
- Bake in oven until parsnips are lightly brown and tender, about 20 minutes. Stir 1/2 way through.
- Toss with parsley, and serve.
More About Parsnips
How to Select
Choose parsnips that are firm and dry. Smaller ones may be more flavorful and tender.
How to Store
Refrigerate parsnips unwashed in an unsealed bag for 3 weeks or more. For longer term storage, pack in moist sand stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees. They can last 2-6 months stored this way.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water and peel. Grate raw in salads. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, roast, sauté or stir-fry. Add to casseroles, soups and stews. Cook until soft and mash like potatoes. Substitute for carrots or sweet potatoes in recipes.
You Might Also Like
Enjoy this healthy snack by dipping your favorite veggies or baked tortilla chips. And it takes only 20 minutes to prepare!