Roasted Parsnip and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving size: 2 cups
Servings per recipe: 8
Roasting the vegetables for this soup results in a delicious sweet and smoky flavor.View Nutrition Facts
1 pound parsnips
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 1/2 pounds onions
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 quart low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 14 oz can of diced low-sodium tomatoes
1 Tbsp Italian spice mix
1 tsp ground pepper
12 oz evaporated skim milk
Low-fat shredded cheese, optional
Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and chop all the vegetables into 1 inch pieces. Put pieces in large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and oil on veggies. Stir gently to coat all veggies.
- Put vegetable pieces on large baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes until vegetables are golden brown, stirring them once while they cook.
- In a large soup pot, combine broth, tomatoes and spices. Bring to boil, and simmer while parsnips and potatoes are roasting. Add roasted vegetables and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender. You'll need to do this in batches.
- Add evaporated milk to pureed soup, and bring to simmer.
- Serve soup hot, topped with optional low-fat shredded cheese and chopped parsley.
To change up the flavor of this soup, roast a different variety of vegetables. Try carrots, turnips, cauliflower and potatoes.
More About Parsnips
How to Select
Choose parsnips that are firm and dry. Smaller ones may be more flavorful and tender.
How to Store
Refrigerate parsnips unwashed in an unsealed bag for 3 weeks or more. For longer term storage, pack in moist sand stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees. They can last 2-6 months stored this way.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water and peel. Grate raw in salads. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, roast, sauté or stir-fry. Add to casseroles, soups and stews. Cook until soft and mash like potatoes. Substitute for carrots or sweet potatoes in recipes.
You Might Also Like
Chilled Blueberry Soup
This refreshing and beautiful quick, summer soup features a blend of blueberries, apple juice, and low-fat yogurt, and is garnished with fresh mint leaves.