Roasted Delicata Squash Smiles
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: 8
This recipe is so simple and you and your family are guaranteed to love the flavor of this sweet squash!View Nutrition Facts
- 3 delicata squashes (about 10/12 oz. per each squash)
- 1 ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- Cooking spray for pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut off the ends of the squash. Stand each on flat end and cut in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and stringy flesh with a metal spoon. Place the squash halves cut side down on cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch slices (“smiles”).
- Arrange the squash smiles on the prepared pan. Brush the squash with vegetable oil and sprinkle on the brown sugar, aiming to distribute these ingredients as evenly as possible on the squash.
- Place in oven and bake until the brown sugar is just melted and the smiles are just golden. This should take about 20 minutes in the oven.
Other winter squashes can be used in this recipe, such as acorn or butternut squash.
More About Delicata Squash
How to Select
Select a squash that is firm, heavy for its size and has an even cream color. A ripe delicata squash will be yellow with green striations on its rind. Unripe delicata squashes are light green. Avoid squashes that have soft spots, dull and wrinkled skin or that are extremely light for their size.
How to Store
Short term: Keep in dry, dark place, in paper bag. Long term: Pack in paper bags. Keep in dry, cool place, such as areas of basement or pantry. Use within 2-6 months. Check regularly for mold. Freeze: Boil or bake until soft, pack in containers and freeze.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Cut and scoop out seeds. Squash is cooked when a fork easily pierces skin and meat. Steam, microwave, or boil until tender. Bake or roast whole or halves. Purée squash meat after cooking and use for pies, pancakes, cookies, breads and sweet soups. Stuff with fillings. Good with maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey, nuts, and fruit.
You Might Also Like
Baba Ganoosh (eggplant dip with tahini: ground up sesame seeds) is a popular Middle Eastern dip and a good source of fiber.
Enjoy this healthy snack by dipping your favorite veggies or baked tortilla chips. And it takes only 20 minutes to prepare!