- 4 beets, green removed
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups green leafy lettuce
- handful of walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place beets on large square of foil. Close up foil tightly. Place on baking sheet.
- Roast beets for one hour or until beets are tender.
- Let cool slightly and remove beets from foil.
- Rub off beet skins with a paper towel. Slice the beets.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mustard, vinegar, oil and sugar.
- Add beets to bowl, and walnuts, if using. Stir gently.
- Serve over the lettuce, and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.
For the best buy, choose firm, smooth beets which have a rich, dark color.
To prepare beets, remove greens, leaving 1 inch of stem. Scrub well. Beets may be roasted, boiled or eaten raw.
To keep fresh, store beets in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks.
Beets contain fiber which helps to keep you regular.
More About Beets
How to Select
Choose beets with firm, smooth skins and non-wilted leaves if still attached. Smaller ones are more tender.
How to Store
Cut tops off 1 inch above root. Wrap leaves and stems in damp paper towel. Refrigerate tops and beet roots in separate plastic bags with some air holes. Use tops within a few days. Beet roots can last 1-2 months.
How to Prepare
Rinse tops. Scrub beets softly in cold water. Use tops as greens by chopping in salads and stir-fries. Eat beets raw by grating into salads. Cook beets by steaming, microwaving, broiling or boiling until tender.
You Might Also Like
Bow Tie Pasta with Zucchini Sauce
Get the kids involved by helping grate the zucchini. They will love to help make a delicious meal for your family!