Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 4, 1 1/2 cups per serving
This colorful dish is chock full of vegetables and kid approved.View Nutrition Facts
- 1 small red onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 large tomato
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic. Rinse eggplant, zucchini, squash, and tomato.
3. Dice onion and eggplant into 1/2-inch pieces. Slice zucchini and squash into -inch slices. Chop tomato. Mince garlic.
4. In a medium bowl, add onion, eggplant, zucchini, squash, garlic, oil, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Toss until veggies are well coated.
5. Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread veggies out in a single layer so they do not touch. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. Add tomato to baking sheet. Return baking sheet to oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until veggies are golden crisp, about 1520 minutes more.
Serve over polenta, spinach, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, or with hearty whole grain bread. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if you like. For a faster version, cook veggies in a large skillet on top of the stove with 1 teaspoon oil instead of baking.
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Choose eggplants that are heavy for their size and without cracks or discolorations.
How to Store
Store eggplants in the refrigerator crisper drawer or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Use within 5-7 days. Freeze: Cook sliced eggplant, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Prepare cooked eggplant dishes and freeze in containers.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim off any bruised spots. Cut off top stem and leaves. Peel if desired. Slice or dice. Microwave cubes in water, stab holes with fork and bake whole. Stuff and bake, roast, fry coated in breadcrumbs, grill brushed with olive oil. Add to sauces and soups, stir-fry or roast with other vegetables, or add to pasta and rice dishes and casseroles.
You Might Also Like
Colorful Rice Salad
This delicious and versatile salad may be used as a side dish or a one dish meal.