- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 can small white beans (15 ounces )
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, allspice, or ginger (if you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Mash white beans, onion, and water with a fork or blender until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, add the pumpkin, juice, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt. If using nutmeg, allspice, or ginger, add that too. Stir.
3. Add the bean mix to the pot.
4. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes, until warmed through.
More About White Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out--beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
Try this twist on a Middle Eastern classic! Soft eggs nestled in a fragrant tomato sauce served over toasted bread - this versatile dish is perfect for any meal!