- 1 pound small red potatoes, skins on
- 2 teaspoons oil or cooking spray
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey (15% fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa
- Dollop of low-fat plain or Greek yogurt (optional)
1. Slice potatoes into small circles about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Meanwhile, add ground turkey and chili powder to a skillet. Cook, stirring over medium heat (300 in an electric skillet) for 8-10 minutes or until turkey browns.
If you'd prefer a vegetarian version of this recipe, replace the meat with one can of beans.
More About Potatoes
How to Select
Look for firm, well-shaped and fairly smooth potatoes. Avoid potatoes that have wrinkles.
How to Store
Do not wash for storage. Do not store with onions. Place in a paper bag, or in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store potatoes in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place, or refrigerate. Can last up to 5 months.
How to Prepare
Scrub gently under water. Skin has many nutrients. If peeling, first remove any sprouts. Carve out any green spots. Steam, microwave, boil, bake, sauté, roast, or mash. Add to casseroles, soups, stews, and curry dishes.
You Might Also Like
Corn, Bell Pepper and Tomatillo Soup
This delicious and easy to make soup highlights the flavors of the southwest, and features the smoky flavor of roasted bell peppers.
Lemon Garlic Spinach
Spinach is a great seasonal ingredient and this recipe highlights its great flavor!