Pineapple Carrot Muffins
Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 12, 1 muffin per serving
These muffins make a great on-the-go breakfast or snack.View Nutrition Facts
1 medium carrot
1 cup canned crushed pineapple with juice
5 Tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup cold water
1 Tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch ground nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Rinse and peel carrot. Shred with a grater. Measure out cup shredded carrot.
3. In a medium bowl, add pineapple with juice, oil, water, vinegar, and shredded carrot. Mix with a fork to combine.
4. In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Blend well with a fork to break up any lumps.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. If using walnuts or raisins, gently stir in now.
7. Coat muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup about full with batter. Bake on middle rack of oven until muffin tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20- 25 minutes.
Use whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour. To make these as a cake, pour batter into a greased 8-inch baking dish. Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 3040 minutes. This recipe does not work well when doubled or baked as a cake in any pan larger than 8 inches. To make these a cupcake dessert, add a cream cheese frosting. Mix 4 Tablespoons soft cream cheese, ? cup nonfat plain yogurt, and 12 Tablespoons honey until smooth and creamy. Spread a thin layer of frosting over each muffin. You can line muffin pan with paper muffin cups instead of using cooking spray, if you like. Make a double batch. Muffins freeze well for up to 2 weeks. Pull one out each morning for a grab-and-go breakfast. Reheat in microwave for 1 minute or toaster oven for 5 minutes.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Enjoy this healthy snack by dipping your favorite veggies or baked tortilla chips. And it takes only 20 minutes to prepare!