Peanut Butter Balls
Serving size: 2 balls
Servings per recipe: 25
Kids love these easy, fun and healthy snacks... and chickpeas play a starring role!View Nutrition Facts
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the honey and vanilla. Stir.
- Add peanut butter. Stir until blended.
- Stir in the oatmeal.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up some of the peanut butter mixture. Shape the mixture into balls (makes 50 balls).
- Store leftover balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
- This recipe is not for children under age 1 because it contains honey and peanut butter.
- If you are concerned about peanut allergies, replace peanut butter with another nut or seed butter.
- You can use a blender or food processor to mix ingredients before shaping into balls.
- To freeze peanut butter balls, lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze overnight in the freezer. Store frozen balls in a freezer bag. Thaw several minutes before serving.
- Make fruit and peanut butter kebabs! Using a toothpick or kebab stick, skewer peanut butter balls and fresh fruit pieces that will not brown such as kiwi slices, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, and orange slices.
More About Garbanzo Beans, Also Known As Chickpeas
How to Select
Garbanzo beans are primarily purchased in their dried or canned forms.
How to Store
Dried garbanzo beans last for more than a year. For canned beans, use the "sell by date" on the can as your guide. Once canned garbanzos are opened, or dried garbanzos are cooked, keep them refrigerated and use within 3 to 4 days.
How to Prepare
Fresh or canned garbanzo beans can be prepared by baking, boiling, sauteing, frying, simmering in a sauce, grinding them to make falafel, or mashing them to make hummus. Dried garbanzo beans need to be cooked first. Soak dried beans in water overnight, then boil for about 2 hours, until beans are soft.