1 medium onion
1 small summer squash, or medium winter squash
1 handful mushrooms
1 small head cauliflower
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
Optional Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, 1/4 cup torn fresh basil or parsley leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Rinse and peel onion. Rinse squash, mushrooms, and cauliflower. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces of equal size.
3. In a medium bowl, add oil, salt, pepper, and cut veggies. Stir until veggies are well coated.
4. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread veggies on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until veggies are browned at the edges, about 30-35 minutes.
5. During last 10 minutes of baking time, cook pasta following package directions. Reserve cup of pasta water. Drain pasta.
6. In a large skillet, add veggies and drained pasta. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add some of the reserved pasta water to moisten and make a sauce.
7. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. If using grated cheese and fresh herbs, add now. Serve hot.
To cut costs, use whatever veggies are in season or on sale. Try different combinations like halved plum tomatoes and broccoli, or red onion and chunks of butternut squash. Or, use thawed frozen veggies. Be sure to pat dry before using.
Try serving this dish with marinara sauce. Use any whole wheat pasta you like, such as penne, rigatoni, shells, or bow tie. For more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to the veggies in step 3.
More About Butternut Squash
How to Select
Choose a squash heavy for its size.
How to Store
Store in a cool, dark place for up to a month. Once cut, refrigerate unused portion.
How to Prepare
Add to stews and soups, steam and drizzle with olive oil, prepare in a curry, bake and stuff with apples, add cooked squash to a canned black beans with a dash of cinnamon and cumin, mash with yams, seasoned with ginger and cinnamon, or simply cube and roast.
You Might Also Like
Massaged Kale Salad
This salad is delicious, easy to make, is loaded with nutrients, and keeps for days in the fridge. Dress up this salad with fruit and roasted nuts for a flavor powerhouse!