Source: Eating Well
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Servings per recipe: 5
This nutritious soup is a great way to add in some seasonal vegetables while also getting some delicious whole grains!View Nutrition Facts
- 4 cloves garlic or 4 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 tablespoon basil
- 1 14.5 lunch can low sodium beef, vegetable, or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 2 15.5 ounce cans small white northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1 14.5 ounce can peeled and diced tomatoes or 2 cups fresh
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
1. Peel and mince the garlic, if using fresh garlic.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and basil, and
cook until you can smell the garlic, about 10 seconds.
3. Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
4. Then add the pasta, cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add the beans, spinach and tomatoes, cover, and cook until the pasta is very tender and
desired amount of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 25 minutes. (The soup can be quite
thick at the end.)
6. Serve it while it is still very hot; pass the cheese on the side.
More About Heirloom Tomatoes
How to Select
Choose tomatoes with bright, shiny skins and firm flesh.
How to Store
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight, for use within 1 week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated; refrigerate only if you can’t use them before they spoil. Freeze or can for later use.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Add to salads, sandwiches, and fresh sauces. Eat cooked: Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, roast, grill, braise, or simmer. Add to casseroles, soups, and stews. Make colorful salsas, serve fresh with basil, vinegar, and mozzarella cheese. Dice and mix with olive oil and spices for no-cook sauce.
You Might Also Like
Tamari Roasted Pecans
These roasted pecans are a healthy snack choice. Eat them by the handful, or add them to salads for a delicious crunch!