- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 pounds (1 large bunch) spinach or kale
- 2 (15-ounce) cans great northern, cannellini, or lima beans
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans*.
5. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
6. Add cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
7. Add beans to greens. If needed, add a little more reserved pasta water to make a sauce.
8. Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, about 5 more minutes.
* When you have more time, consider using dried beans and check out the video on how to cook them!
For extra flavor, top with hot sauce or grated Parmesan cheese. Use Swiss chard or any of your favorite hearty greens. Use olive oil instead of canola oil, if you like.
More About Swiss Chard
How to Select
Select chard with fresh green leaves.
How to Store
Store unwashed leaves in plastic bags with some air holes in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
How to Prepare
Separate leaves from stems. Rinse in cold water. Cook stems longer than leaves. Chard cooks down in volume, so use more raw greens than final dish calls for. Chop in salads, wraps, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil in water or flavored broth. Sauté, stir-fry or braise in oil and spices, with other vegetables or alone. Add to casseroles, soups, sauces, pasta, and egg dishes.
You Might Also Like
Barley and Lentil Soup
Lentils add a filling, lean protein to this tasty, warming soup. Consider making extra to store in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may need to add extra liquid when you reheat.