1. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans*.
5. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
6. Add cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
7. Add beans to greens. If needed, add a little more reserved pasta water to make a sauce.
8. Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, about 5 more minutes.
* When you have more time, consider using dried beans and check out the video on how to cook them!
1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
2 medium onions
1 medium carrot
3 large cloves garlic
2 pounds (1 large bunch) spinach or kale
2 (15-ounce) cans great northern, cannellini, or lima beans
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste
More About White Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out--beans should always be covered with water.