- 2 cups cooked, cooled brown rice
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 green onions, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges with juice
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in medium-sized bowl.
- Chill for an hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try adding 2/3 cup diced green peppers or other crunchy vegetables.
More About Oranges
How to Select
Select oranges that have finely textured and relatively firm skin, and that are heavy for their size. Do not rely on color to select oranges- some oranges are dyed to appear brighter in color, but yellow and slightly green-tinged oranges can be just as tasty!
How to Store
Oranges will keep well for 1-2 days at room temperature, or for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
How to Prepare
Oranges are segmented naturally, and the simplest way to prepare them is to peel the orange and break into sections with your fingers. For orange slices with the peel still attached, use a sharp knife (serrated knives work best) to quarter the orange, leaving the peel still intact.
You Might Also Like
This delicious and versatile dish can be used as a main course or side dish for any meal of the day!
Asparagus, Feta and Couscous Salad
This elegant yet simple salad is lovely on its own or as a complement to a main course.