- 1 pound carrots
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch ground black pepper
1. Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil, rinse, peel, and slice carrots into -inch slices.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces. Watch carefully after it reduces so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
4. Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. In a colander drain carrots. Rinse them under cold water.
6. In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
To save time, steam carrots in the microwave instead of cooking on the stove. Place carrots in a microwave-safe dish with cup of water for 35 minutes. Try parsnips instead of carrots. You could also try using other dried herbs like dill or parsley instead of basil. Use raw oranges when they are in season or on sale. Juice 2 oranges to get 1 cup of juice. Zest one of the oranges. Stir juice into skillet in step 3. Add zest at the end of cooking time.
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Marinated Tomato and Cucumber Salad
This salad has a great variety of colors and a really refreshing taste!
Farmers Market Salsa
Make this fresh salsa as spicy as you like! The black beans make for a filling side dish!