Orange Glazed Carrots
Source: Cooking Matters
Serving size: Serves 4, 3/4 cup per serving
This dish is loaded with Vitamin A and is a low-cost and yummy way to eat more veggies.View Nutrition Facts
1 pound carrots
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch ground black pepper
1. Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil, rinse, peel, and slice carrots into -inch slices.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces. Watch carefully after it reduces so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
4. Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. In a colander drain carrots. Rinse them under cold water.
6. In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
More About Carrot
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops bottoms. Peel. Eat raw: Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Eat cooked: Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Garden Sloppy Joes
Add your favorite veggies and your favorite meat to create your own version of this kid-friendly meal.