Creamy Orange Smoothie
Source: Adapted from Recipe Runner
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 4
A healthy take on the classic orange creamsicle? Yes please!View Nutrition Facts
- 3 oranges
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups ice cubes
1) Peel and section oranges over a bowl to catch all juices, remove seeds if necessary.
2) Combine yogurt, banana, orange slices (and any juices collected), and vanilla (optional) in a blender and puree until smooth.
3) Stir in 1/2 the ice cubes and blend again. For a frostier smoothie, add more ice cubes and blend until desired consistency is reached.
The banana in this recipe helps create a creamier smoothie and adds sweetness- the riper the banana, the sweeter it will be!
Recipe analysis was calculated using 1 cup of low-fat (1%) yogurt.
More About Oranges
How to Select
Select oranges that have finely textured and relatively firm skin, and that are heavy for their size. Do not rely on color to select oranges- some oranges are dyed to appear brighter in color, but yellow and slightly green-tinged oranges can be just as tasty!
How to Store
Oranges will keep well for 1-2 days at room temperature, or for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
How to Prepare
Oranges are segmented naturally, and the simplest way to prepare them is to peel the orange and break into sections with your fingers. For orange slices with the peel still attached, use a sharp knife (serrated knives work best) to quarter the orange, leaving the peel still intact.