- 1 onion (small, finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 pound greens (shredded) Try kale, spinach or collard greens!
- 16 okra
- 4 chili peppers (finely chopped and crushed)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
1. In a large heavy pan saut onions in oil until golden brown.
2. Add remaining ingredients and about cup of water. Simmer over low heat, covered, until greens are tender.
3. Squeeze lemon juice before serving.
More About Okra
How to Select
Choose brightly colored, firm pods.
How to Store
Do not rinse for storage. Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Store okra in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for later: Trim stems, blanch in water, cool, and freeze in plastic bags. Use within 1 year.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly. Scrub fuzz off skin. Chop. Becomes slimy if overcooked or boiled. Sauté or fry, steam, grill, or roast in a small amount of oil. Add to casseroles, rice and vegetable dishes, curry, soups, and stews.
You Might Also Like
Oodles of Noodles
This delicious, nutritious recipe was developed by staff and students as part of a healthy school lunch challenge.
Corn, Bell Pepper and Tomatillo Soup
This delicious and easy to make soup highlights the flavors of the southwest, and features the smoky flavor of roasted bell peppers.