- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons dried fruit, such as raisins, dried cranberries, or dried currants
- 3 Tablespoons plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon whole, shelled walnuts
- Optional Ingredients: 1 Tablespoon honey
1. Rinse and remove cores from apples. Do not peel. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl.
2. Add dried fruit and yogurt to bowl. Mix well.
3. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast nuts until golden brown and fragrant. Watch closely so they do not burn. Remove from pan and let cool.
5. Chop cooled nuts with a knife. Or, put in a plastic bag and crush with a can.
6. Add crushed nuts to bowl. If using, add honey. Toss and serve.
Use any kind of apple in this recipe. Use any kind of nuts in place of walnuts. Or, omit nuts if someone has an allergy.
More About Apples
How to Select
Choose firm, shiny, smooth-skinned apples with intact stems. Should smell fresh, not musty.
How to Store
Refrigerate apples in plastic bag away from strong-odored foods. Use within 3 weeks.
How to Prepare
Rinse the apples with water. You may scrub them with a produce brush. To peel, use a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Cut away the core and seeds, stem, and ends, then slice each quarter as desired.