Source: Cornell University Cooperative Extension - New York City
Serving size: 1/4 recipe
Servings per recipe: 4
This tasty soup has a generous amount of vegetables in each serving: onions, potatoes, carrots, zucchini!View Nutrition Facts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup no-salt canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup rotini or elbow macaroni
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
1. Heat oil in a large pot. Cook onion and garlic in the oil until golden.
2. Add potatoes, carrots, spices, and water. Cook at low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, macaroni and zucchini. Boil for 15 minutes or until the macaroni and vegetables are cooked.
More About Red Kidney Bean
How to Select
Choose dried beans or canned beans with less sodium. Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature in a closed container, to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned beans at room temperature, and use before date on can.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
You Might Also Like
This recipe is versatile so you can mix it up by using different vegetables every time!
Cabbage Stir Fry
This recipe is quick and easy to make, and is a good source of fiber and Vitamin C. Serve with brown rice.