Mexican Vegetable & Beef Skillet Meal
Source: Food Hero
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 8View Nutrition Facts
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned mixed vegetables, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
- Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring, 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add tomato, mixed vegetables, rice, water, and spices.
- Mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Try beans in place of the hamburger
More About Black Beans
How to Select
Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color, and not shriveled.
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed container to protect from moisture and pests.
How to Prepare
Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Cover the beans in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. Drain water and rinse with fresh water. To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.