- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4 onion
- 8 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces nonfat cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat refried beans
- 1/3 cup salsa
1. Wash hands thoroughly.
2. Wash bell pepper and onion. Dice.
3. Coat pan with cooking spray and fry bell pepper and onion over medium-high heat for a few minutes until tender.
4. Put vegetables into another container and set aside.
5. In bowl, use fork to whisk 8 egg whites and 2 yolks (or egg substitute), salt, pepper, and milk.
6. Grate cheese. Open beans.
7. Place frying pan on medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
8. Pour egg mixture into pan. Scrape from edges to center for 20 seconds.
9. Let eggs cook until firm.
10. Spread beans onto one-half of eggs. Add vegetables and salsa.
11. Fold egg onto mixture (like a taco). Sprinkle cheese on top.
12. Carefully slide omelet onto plate. Cut into quarters and serve.
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin. Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days. To freeze, remove seeds, cut, and store in plastic bags.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauteed. Add them to pizzas, scrambled eggs or salads. Stuff and bake them for a delicious meal!