Source: What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Servings per recipe: 12
An interesting take on the classic salsa.View Nutrition Facts
- 2 cups melon, honeydew, cantaloupe or watermelon (seeded and chopped fresh, use one kind or a combination)
- 1 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion, red or white (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or mint (optional) (fresh, chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and finely chopped, or hot sauce to taste)
- 1/4 cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar, white or brown
1. In a medium size bowl, stir together all ingredients.
2. Taste and season with more lemon or lime juice, sugar if needed.
3. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve with grilled or broiled fish or chicken.
More About Cantaloupe
How to Select
Choose fragrant, symmetrical cantaloupes, heavy for size with no visible bruises and yellow or cream undertone. Stem end should give to gentle pressure.
How to Store
Store uncut cantaloupes at room temperature for up to 1 week. Refrigerate cut melon in airtight container up to 5 days.
How to Prepare
Make sure to wash the cantaloupe before cutting. Gently scoop out seeds with a spoon and cut the fruit into wedges or use a melon baller.