Massaged Kale Salad
Source: Modified from a recipe at NutritionStripped.com
Serving size: 1 cup of massaged kale leaves
This salad is delicious, easy to make, is loaded with nutrients, and keeps for days in the fridge. Dress up this salad with fruit and roasted nuts for a flavor powerhouse!View Nutrition Facts
- 2 large handfuls (2-3 cups) of raw kale leaves
- 2 tsp. of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems using your fingers.
- In a large bowl, combine the de-stemmed kale leaves with 1 tsp. olive oil, juice from 1 lemon (2-3 Tbsp) and salt.
- Put an additional tsp. of olive oil onto your hands to coat.
- Using a massaging action (similar to kneading bread dough), start to tear the leaves apart and massage. Watch video to see how this is done.
- Continue massaging for about 2-5 minutes or until the leaves are softened, the leaves will also turn a more vibrant green.
- Use this as a simple salad, or add toppings of your choice for a complete meal in a bowl.
More About Kale
How to Select
Choose dark colored kale bunches with small to medium leaves. Avoid brown or yellow leaves.
How to Store
Store kale in a plastic bag in the coldest part of the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly and remove leaves from stalk. Chop in salads, wraps, pitas, and sandwiches. Steam, microwave or boil, sauté, stir-fry or braise in flavored broth. Add to soups for last few minutes of cooking. Cook with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice as a side dish.
You Might Also Like
Arroz Con Pollo
"I made this one night after work, the rice was the most flavorful rice I have ever had. My family ate it up. I will make this again."