Marinated Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Source: New Roots Charter School
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 6
This salad has a great variety of colors and a really refreshing taste!View Nutrition Facts
- 3 cups of cucumbers
- 3 cups tomatoes
- ½ cup onions
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Stripe or completely peel the cucumber with a peeler or with a knife.
- Cut the cucumber in half long-ways and cut into ½ moons a ¼ inch thick.
- Slice tomatoes in half and then slice these tomato halves into ¼ inch slices.
- Cut onions into quarters and then into very thin slices
- Combine the cut vegetables in a bowl and mix in the pepper, salt, minced garlic, and olive oil.
More About Cucumbers
How to Select
Choose firm, well shaped cucumbers with dark green color, that are heavy for its size.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim ends. If skin is tough or waxed, peel. If seeds are hard, scoop out. Add fresh cucumber to salads and sandwiches. Have as a snack with dips. Eat raw: Add to salads and sandwiches, or have as a snack with dip. Cut into cubes with tomatoes and herbs, and add salad dressing. Make Greek cucumber-yogurt sauce, or add to cold soups.