Marinated Carrot Salad
Source: Christine Perlin Gump
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: 6
This easy to make salad is a good source of beta carotene. It is a delicious side dish for meat or fish, and travels well for a picnic lunch.View Nutrition Facts
1 pound carrots, peeled
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of white or black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel carrots, and place in saucepan of water. Bring water to boil and cook carrots 20 minutes. Rinse carrots in cold water.
- Slice carrots in 1/4 inch rounds. Dice onion and chop parsley. Put these into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Make marinade. With a fork, mix vinegar, water, sugar, salt & pepper in small bowl. Add oil and mix again.
- Add marinade to vegetables, and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate for 2 or more hours, to mix flavors.
- Serve cold. This salad will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This is a traditional German recipe from Christine's aunt. This marinade also works well with other vegetables. Try this recipe using green beans, cauliflower, or broccoli!
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.