- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- Melt margarine and add syrup, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Mix turnips and sweet potatoes in a medium casserole dish. Add syrup mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned (20 to 30 minutes). Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
More About Turnips
How to Select
Select pearly, heavy turnips without soft spots and fresh leaves if still attached. Small to medium ones are sweetest.
How to Store
Store turnips in the refrigerator in a plastic bag with some air holes for only a few days since they get bitter with prolonged storage. Turnips can last up to 5 months packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse thoroughly in cold water. Peel outer skin. Steam, microwave, boil, sauté, stir-fry, or braise in flavored broth. Add to casseroles, soups, dips, sauces and pasta, rice and egg dishes, or cook with other vegetables with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Save the turnip greens for any recipe that calls for greens.
You Might Also Like
Winter Squash and Black Bean Chili
This is a delicious healthy and hearty low cost chili. It will warm you up on a cool fall evening!
Berry Frozen Yogurt
Naturally sweet and refreshing, this simple frozen yogurt is a perfect healthy treat for a hot summer day.