Fall Favorite Lentil Stew
Serving size: 13 oz
Servings per recipe: 8
Try this delicious stew with a dollop of plain fat-free regular or Greek yogurt. This recipe will warm you up on a chilly evening!View Nutrition Facts
8 cups of water
- 1 pound lentils, washed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- In a large pot, boil water. Add lentils and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onions, green pepper, carrots, celery and cilantro and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the pot of lentils; simmer for 1 hour. Season with pepper and salt (if desired).
Try this delicious stew with a dollop of fat-free regular or Greek yogurt. This recipe will warm up your family on a cool fall evening!
For a spicier stew, try adding 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or diced jalapeno pepper!
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, or boiled until tender.