Fall Favorite Lentil Stew
Serving size: 13 oz
Servings per recipe: 8
Try this delicious stew with a dollop of plain fat-free regular or Greek yogurt. This recipe will warm you up on a chilly evening!View Nutrition Facts
8 cups of water
- 1 pound lentils, washed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- In a large pot, boil water. Add lentils and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onions, green pepper, carrots, celery and cilantro and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the pot of lentils; simmer for 1 hour. Season with pepper and salt (if desired).
Try this delicious stew with a dollop of fat-free regular or Greek yogurt. This recipe will warm up your family on a cool fall evening!
For a spicier stew, try adding 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or diced jalapeno pepper!
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Carrots can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand and stored in a cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops & bottoms. Add to salads, have as a snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved, roasted or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Enjoy this healthy snack by dipping your favorite veggies or baked tortilla chips. And it takes only 20 minutes to prepare!
Spaghetti squash is a delicious & nutritious substitute for pasta noodles. Try it with your favorite pasta sauce!