Italian Vegetable Stew
Source: Cornell FNEC
Serving size: 8 servings
This hearty soup will definitely warm you up on a chilly winter day.
2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups red potatoes, washed & cut into small cubes
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup carrots, washed, peeled & sliced (~ 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes undrained
- 14.5 oz can reduced sodium beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped OR 3 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups summer squash, washed & diced
- 1 cup spinach (or swiss chard), washed and chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Combine onions, potatoes, beans, carrots, barley, tomatoes, broth and garlic in a large electric slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on high for 6 hours.
2. Add squash, spinach, basil, oregano and pepper. Cover and cook on high an additional 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
3. Add water or additional broth if a thinner consistency is required.
4. Ladle into individual soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
More About Onions
How to Select
Choose onions that are firm and dry with bright, smooth outer skins.
How to Store
Before storage, onions should be dry, with papery skin and shriveled roots. Store whole onions in a cool, dark, well ventilated place for use within 4 weeks. Refrigerate cut onions in a tightly sealed container for use within 2-3 days. Discard, or trim and cook, any bruised onions. Long term: Braid and hang upside-down, store in bags with some holes for ventilation in cold, dry place at 32-40 degrees. Can last up to 8 months. Do not freeze.
How to Prepare
Rinse. Trim off ends. Remove dry, papery skin. Cut in half. Peel away thick outer layer. Chop or slice. Eat raw: Sweet and red onions are milder and can be added to salads and sandwiches. Eat cooked: Yellow and white onions are stronger and great for cooking. Sauté, stir-fry, microwave, steam, boil, or braise. Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, dips, and vegetable, pasta, rice, and meat dishes.
You Might Also Like
Slow Cooker Black-eyed Pea Soup
This vegan and gluten-free dish will keep you warm and can be made with either a slow cooker or regular pot!