- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 1 (15½-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red pepper, or 3 roasted red peppers from a jar
- Pinch ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes
1. Peel and chop garlic. If using fresh red pepper, rinse, remove core and seeds, and mince now. Or, mince jarred roasted peppers.
2. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
3. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
4. Add garlic, lemon juice, beans, and remaining ingredients to blender. If using optional spices, add now. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
5. If using, top hummus with minced red pepper.
More About Garlic
How to Select
Choose garlic that is plump, dry and firm. Fresh garlic should be white to off-white.
How to Store
Garlic should be stored in a cool, dark place, but not in the refrigerator or freezer, and can be kept for several weeks. Clay garlic holders can be used as well. Unpeeled: Store in a paper bag in a cool, dark place, away from other foods. This can keep for months. Peeled: Refrigerate in sealed container, freeze peeled garlic cloves, chopped or whole, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or freezer bags. This can keep for weeks. Long term: Keep in a dry, cool location. Tie dry garlic into braids. Store bulbs together in netted bags.
How to Prepare
Separate cloves to be used from bulb. Trim tips of cloves. Peel. Chop or crush with a knife, or purée. Sauté with other vegetables in oil and spices. Add to soups, sauces, casseroles, dips, rice and bean dishes, pasta, and meat dishes. Bake on breads with drizzled olive oil and seasonings.
You Might Also Like
Spicy Lentil Tacos
Enjoy this vegan taco recipe with a little kick that can be prepared in just 20 minutes!